EY&rsquo,s Guru Malladi reports on the Indian Government’s project to set up an online database of individual biometric identities for almost a billion people.
India’s national identity scheme involves capturing 12 billion fingerprints, Two.Four billion iris scans and 1.Two billion photographs ter a database.
India is attempting to give a unique identification number to its 1.Two billion residents &ndash, a truly groundbreaking project.
To address thesis challenges, Indian policy-makers have created an online ID toneelpodium, overseen by a fresh assets, the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). A 12-digit unique ID, or Aadhaar (meaning foundation te Hindi), is being issued to every individual.
UIDAI&rsquo,s technology is underpinned by the latest biometric, cloud computing, encryption and search capabilities to ensure every resident is issued a unique ID, and no resident receives more than one official identification.
Such a task involves capturing:
- 12 billion fingerprints
- Two.Four billion iris scans
- 1.Two billion photographs te a database
It also involves checking the resident&rsquo,s number against every other record to ensure the ID&rsquo,s uniqueness. A vendor-neutral technology is being used to ensure the Government is not locked te to any one particular hardware or software.
Spil of June 2013, 364 million Indian residents have bot issued their unique ID. More than 600 million are expected to be issued by 2014.
Aadhaar brings with it the promise of economic and social transformation:
- UIDAI has created digital platforms that authorize payments for a resident using a cell phone, clever phone, tablet or any other device linked to the internet.
- UIDAI has also created systems that enable the transfer of money directly into an Aadhaar linked bankgebouw account.
- Pilot projects are underway for banks to use the ID to deploy low cost micro-ATMs ter villages that leverage fingerprint authentication.
- Aadhaar authentication is being used to deploy subsidized food grains and cooking gas.
- Te 2012, the Indian Government announced a Meteen Benefits Transfer Program, ter which various welfare benefits are transferred to an Aadhaar-linked bankgebouw account.
- Telecom operators have embarked using online Aadhaar authentication when providing fresh mobile connections.
- Indian agencies are increasingly recognizing it spil a proof of identity for numerous services, including passports, voting and train travel.
The private sector is also keen on adopting Aadhaar for advanced applications that include an individual&rsquo,s credit rating, electronic medical history and education records. The toneelpodium treatment and interfaces provided by UIDAI permit entrepreneurs and software providers to develop innovative applications ter sectors such spil health, education, employment and agriculture.
Several logistics vrouwen, consulting firms, biometric service providers, device vendors and software solution providers are working alongside UIDAI to streamline service delivery by using a data-driven and electronic treatment.
EY India is providing consulting services to the Indian Government and UIDAI for setting up the central ID infrastructure, and on other critical projects which support the day-to-day operations at UIDAI.
The ID program and Aadhaar applications are set to permit many more Indian citizens to join the mainstream population on the journey of economic and social growth.
Connect with us
Stay connected with us through social media, email alerts or webcasts.